Commercial customers are businesses, offices, schools, churches and more that receive collection and processing service of materials collected from carts or bins. Service is provided up to six (6) days per week on a Monday through Saturday schedule.
Collection does NOT occur on New Year’s Day (Jan. 1), Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in Nov.) or Christmas Day (December 25). If an observed holiday falls on a regular collection day, collection for the remainder of the week will be delayed by one day.
Commercial customers in Palo Alto are offered collection service of garbage, recyclable materials, and compostables. All materials must fit completely inside the container with the lid closed and must be ready for collection no later than 4:00AM.
GARBAGE/LANDFILL: Garbage is collected in BLACK or GRAY containers provided by GreenWaste. Service is available in volumes of 32, 64, or 96 gallon carts or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 8 cubic yard bins.
RECYCLE: Recyclable materials are collected in BLUE containers provided by GreenWaste. Service is available in volumes of 32, 64, or 96 gallon carts or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 8 cubic yard bins.
COMPOST: Compostable materials are collected in GREEN containers provided by GreenWaste. Service is available in volumes of 32, 64, or 96 gallon carts or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 cubic yard bins.
CLEAN UP DAY PROGRAM: Commercial customers may schedule a free Clean Up Day for the collection of bulky items once per calendar year. Up to four bulky items (e.g. furniture, mattresses, appliances) with a weight limit of 200 pounds each may be collected as part of the program. Schedule a Clean Up Day by calling Customer Service at least one week in advance.
BULKY ITEM COLLECTION: Commercial customers may request the collection of bulky items (beyond those included in the Clean Up Day program) on their regular service day for a fee. Schedule this service by calling Customer Service at least one week in advance.
Billing & Rates
What Goes Where & More
RECYCLING AND COMPOSTING ORDINANCE: Recycling and composting are required in Palo Alto. Everyone in Palo Alto is required to comply by:
- Subscribing to recycle, compost, and garbage service.
- Setting up color-coded and labeled internal containers.
- Training and educating tenants, residents, employees, contractors and janitors.
- Sorting waste into the proper containers.
- Color Coded Bags: If bags are used to line refuse containers, then transparent blue tinted bags are required for recycling containers, transparent green compostable bags are required for compost containers, and clear bags are required for landfill containers.
- Compostable Bags for the Compost Container: Compostable bags must be certified compostable by the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) or meet ASTM D6400 or D66868 standards of composability.
GreenWaste of Palo Alto greatly values the importance of youth and schools in our zero waste efforts. GreenWaste is a member of the PAUSD Sustainable Schools Committee and participates in the Zero Waste Champion Program. GreenWaste also offers presentations and truck showings specifically designed to educate students. If you would like GreenWaste to visit your classroom, school, or youth organization, please contact Customer Service.
Activities and Resources
Printable Signs and Posters
- Lunch Monitors: How-to
- School Waste Audits: How-to
- Sustainable School Events: How-to
- Zero Waste Lunch: How-to
- Zero Waste Party Packs: How-to
Businesses and non-profit organizations located in the communities of Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Mountain View, Stanford, Los Altos and Los Altos Hills that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month can participate in Palo Alto’s Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Program.
Address: 2501 Embarcadero Way, Palo Alto, CA 94303